Thursday, November 7, 2013

Video Review on Present Shock



My apologies for getting this up late. I had some technical issues, including internet so slow that it took many tries and more than an hour to upload my short video to YouTube.

This was a very, very quick and rough edit. I did not want to spend too much time touching it up because I started going over the time limit as was, and the assignment requested to stay within two hours of working on it.

What I learned from creating this video:
1. The more editing and work you do, the more room there is for something to go wrong and for error.
2. Trying to condense the points of this book down into a few minutes is extremely difficult. I felt like the only things I had time for were the abstract ideas, and I had to sacrifice the concrete examples that went along with these ideas. Were I to do it again, I might spend less time on the 5 different syndromes and try to consolidate them into a couple sentences, then try to bring in some more concrete examples to help give the argument some credibility.
3. Personally, I feel like videos that have some editing keep my attention more. However, you have to be careful to add too much, or it feels disjointed. As I tried to find that balance, I found myself cutting scenes in favor of making the video seem more coherent. I also tried to stay away from special effects in order to preserve the authenticity of the video.
4. I think my voice is too mellow to be a vlogger.

This assignment was really beneficial for me as I took into consideration my audience and tried to fit a relevant presentation into the short time allotted. I think breaking down the book as succinctly as possible forces you to get at the main ideas and the most appealing content to those interested in reading the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment