Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Understanding Cyberbullying

I just wanted to talk a little bit about cyberbullying, because apparently October is National Anti-Bullying Month (there are so many National ____ Months, I sometimes cannot keep up). I think that cyberbullying has risen to be one of the top forms of harassment, especially in the younger generations. It can come in various formats, including attacks via social media, internet forums, etc. Because it is easy to get ideas out there, to connect and interact with people,  it is also easier to criticize and ridicule others. This is because of the virtual anonymity that comes with interacting online. There have been tragic reports of people being bullied online that have taken drastic measures. I was watching a documentary on a girl who was bullied so terribly from her classmates over Facebook that she committed suicide. This is an extreme example, and I don't want this to be a dark and sad post, but the truth of it is that it is more prevalent than ever. My own siblings have experienced interactions like this, where kids are afraid to confront them in person but will say almost anything when chatting on the web. I think it is really important to be aware of and understand the danger of cyberbullying, especially since we are nearing the time of our lives when we will start families.

This happens to children, but can also happen to adults. I have noticed many a nasty comment on blogs or YouTube or in forums. A goal that I have always had is to form a respectful, intelligent persona on the internet. Nothing productive comes from insulting someone else's choices or opinions; nothing constructive comes from being aggressive online. Respectfully disagreeing and engaging in a meaningful conversation is a completely different ballgame and can lead to enlightening conversation.

I came across this video on a friend's Facebook. It is about a news anchor who received an email from a viewer criticizing her physical appearance. She decided to publicly take a stance against bullying and speak out while on the air. I thought it was a great manifestation of how technology in our age can be used negatively, but it can also be used to make a positive change.


3 comments:

  1. That was an interesting video. It was inspiring to see this professional stand up to criticism and then also to transform it into an effort to encourage children to communicate better online. At the same time, I see a problem here in calling this bullying. The letter was critical, even rude. But I think that bullying has more to do with harassment, not just unkind expressions. There is a danger to free speech if anything we find unpleasant can be characterized as bullying (and therefore making that "bully" subject to reprisals, for example). I heartily agree with the effort to call for more civil kinds of communication. A relevant article from the August 2013 Ensign (that also discusses cyberbullying) is "No Corrupt Communication"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply remember "Thumper's Rule": if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post and video, thanks for sharing. I agree with Dr. Burton that the email she got was harsh but not necessarily bullying. I've seen a lot worse, particularly from those who are able to post as anonymous. But, to me, being harsh and critical is how the bullying starts, and then it can easily spiral out of control from there.

    ReplyDelete