Saturday, October 26, 2013

An Introduction to Evernote

I started using Evernote as a way to curate. As I keep exploring it, I am realizing that it is an extremely valuable tool, and that a lot of researchers and scholars are using Evernote to keep track of their resesarch. Basically, Evernote is a place online that keeps track of Notes that you create. You can make to-do lists, web clippings (pictures of website pages), copy links to articles, etc. These are a few features that make Evernote a great tool for research.



1. Searchable Text
Whenever you create a note, anything on the note is searchable through Evernote. This is beneficial because I usually use Googledocs to keep track of my documents and links I find on the web, but with Evernote, I can search the content of each note. This will also be helpful because for another class, I have to do some long interviews. I plan on recording the interviews, but I will also want to take notes. I will use Evernote to take notes so that I can refer back to them later when I am completing my project.

2. Notebooks and Tags
Evernote allows you to organize your notes in different categories. I created a notebook for our class to keep relevant research in. You can also tag your notes with different labels. I will be using ENG326 as one tag to keep track of my own research for this class. I will also probably use the tags PresentShock and Rushkoff.

3. Web Clipper
With the web clipper, you can highlight content from the web and then click the Evernote icon on your browser in order to save it in your notes. This is a quick and effective way to keep track of information that I find as I'm collecting research. It will be much more efficient than copy and pasting into a Googledoc, which is how I usually keep track of things that I find on the web that I want to remember.

I think Evernote is going to be a very helpful tool as I curate research. I have begun to make notes regarding Present Shock, the book that I'm reading for class. I have found some articles that I have made into a note that I want to refer to later. I also plan on downloading the Evernote app for my phone so that I can keep track of my notes there, too.

1 comment:

  1. The web clipper which is a Chrome extension or Firefox add-on is a great way to capture portions of sites or to save PDFs for later use. Also you get an email address that goes to your Evernote folders. Very handy.

    ReplyDelete