Friday, October 4, 2013

Spiraling into Success

I really liked Dr. Burton's post on the spiral effect of social proof. Getting feedback from our peers and colleagues allows us to enter into the spiral and continue to improve our own work. I really liked the idea that the process is as important as the final product. So many times when I have been writing a conference length paper, I have rushed through my research so that I can make a deadline. Once I have turned it in, I have rarely come back to it because of more pressing deadlines. Yesterday I realized that approaching my work this way will not end in success for me. I have stopped too early on the spiral, letting my papers go through some rounds of revision, but never revisiting them after their due date. I thought about a few papers that I want to come back to, and I plan on polishing them and submitting them.

In Kayla's post, she discusses some of these issues. The two things she says that made the difference for her were time and personal investment. The more interested I have been in a topic, the more research I wanted to do on it. I think it's great that we are able to choose what we want to research as we enter the second phase of our academic blogging. I am excited to explore and see what I am most passionate about.

Adding time and personal investment into our work means getting it out there for people to see, comment on, and improve. Doing this allows our work and research to take on life that we didn't imagine for it before. It is the best way to spiral into new opportunities, and into success.

1 comment:

  1. Kylee I think you bring up great points in your blog. I've had many of my English professors tell me that "Writing is not a product but a process". I think also that one of the problems I have in college is not giving myself enough time focus on a paper and develop my ideas which hurts not only my ability to improve as a writer, but also hinders my ability to develop some my ideas.

    ReplyDelete