Monday, October 7, 2013

Midterm #1part2



Topics: Looking how Moby Dick relates to the journey of technology
  • Creating an identity
  • Information that is available through technology
  • Connecting through technology.
 Thesis: Looking at the way Moby Dick relates to the modern day use and development of technology.  Since the use of technology is still relatively new, people are still trying to figure out how to use and navigate technology and Moby Dick represent the journey that people are taking with technology.

Outline:
  • Ishmale and Queequeg relationship:
    • Queequeg representing the introduction of technology
      • Technology being something new and Queequeg being something new.
  • Creating an Identity
    • Ishmale and Queequeg must create an identity together.
  • Gathering Information
    • Comparing how the middle chapters of Moby Dick represents the ongoing information that technology  provides us.
      • How do we sort it out.
  • Learning and finishing the journey
    • How do we accept technology in our lives and what have we learned form the Ishmale and Queequeg journey.
So I know that this is a really rough outline, but these are kind of the thoughts that I have been having while thinking about this paper and this is the direction I want to take.  I think I may have to be more specific and narrow my thesis a little more as well as the examples I am planning on using ( I'm thinking on narrowing the examples down to two or three). Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful! 




3 comments:

  1. I like your symbolic interpretation of Ishmael and Queequeg's relationship. However, I would also be interested in seeing what you think about the middle chapters and what they mean, and I think the acceptance of technology would be important to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think looking at how Ishmael and Queequeg's relationship progresses would be an interesting study to see how incorporating technology into our own life has progressed. As with all things, it could be really easy to get vague with this, but as long as you're really specific and as you narrow down your thesis I think this could be really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great comparison, but just remember what Dr. Wickman said about making the connection and then taking it a step deeper to show the significance of the meaning. I think that will depend on what examples you choose.

    ReplyDelete