Friday, October 4, 2013

Writing As A Process

After reading Ch.2  of Dr. Burtons eBook Writing about Literature in the Digital Age and after our class lecture on Wednesday,  it reminded me of a quote many of my English professor here at BYU have told me: "Writing is not a product but a process".



 I really enjoyed reading the blog post from Kayla where she made the observation about blogging that "We inject ourselves into your blog post, and we share everything about our research along the way: good and bad.  Like Kayla said, blogging  allows us and our readers to see how our ideas evolved and the process that we took to get from point A to point B. Usually when I  write a paper , my process looks a little like this:

Paper that due on a Friday:
1.Monday: This about the topic
2.Tuesday: Write my thesis
3.Wednesday: Write rough draft of Paper
4. Thursday night: Read through paper, make changes, and finally figure out by the time I get to the end of the paper what I am really trying to say and what my ideas really are, but since its really late, and I"m usually really tired. I decided to leave the paper as it and turn it in on Friday.

 Taking this class and being introduced to blogging world(I had never done it before this class) made me realize some of the befits of blogging.  I've realized that when I write paper and when I blog, I go through the same process.  But with blogging,  it allows me to really share my research and ideas, which in turn helps me develop and expand the ideas that I am thinking about.  Blogging allows other people to comment on my ideas and add suggestions of ideas and things to think about that I myself may have not thought about or may have overlooked.  This in turn helps me develop more fully the ideas that I have and allows my writing process to move beyond myself to include other individuals.

So a process that went from being a individual process can be, through blogging and other digital means, turned into a procedure where people can help contribute and develop ideas together.




2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are understanding the process! I hope it will work for you as you go from blogging to writing a traditional paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I go through the process of writing, the more I realize that I learn from the process than from the final product. It's kind of like a sacrament meeting talk: it benefits the speaker as well as the congregation.

    ReplyDelete